Sep. 20, 2012
Since inception in 2003, the Molson University Old Star Hockey Challenge has become a 'must do' on the hockey calendar for AUS/AUAA alumni hockey players throughout the region and beyond. The camaraderie, fellowship and competitive spirit has produced many exciting and fun-filled moments over the past 9 years.
With an eye towards securing the Event's future and in an effort to address some of the roster compliance challenges that have evolved over the years, we are today making a major announcement about the future of the Old Stars tourney.
- Effective October 2012, the Old Star tourney will be integrated directly into the existing Molson Men's Rec Hockey Tournament.
- NEW DATE for the NEW TOURNAMENT will be Thanksgiving Weekend, Friday October 5 and Saturday October 6.
- Halifax Forum and Civic Arena will be the host site
- Off-ice hospitality will feature an impressive line-up all through the weekend, including - Molson Canadian Hockey House; Molson Ambassadors; complimentary food; Entertainment; prizes; ice cold Molson Canadian and much more...!
- The NEW tournament, presented by Molson Coors, will be known as - MOLSON CANADIAN HOCKEY CLASSIC
- The NEW tournament will be organized into three (3) different groupings, with Champions being declared in each:
- Molson Canadian "Alumni" Division (former Old Star tournament)
- Molson Canadian "Classic" Division (former Rec tournament)
- Women's Division
The Alumni Division will continue to invite all 10 current and past AUAA/AUS team to participate.
Some University teams may choose to move from the Alumni Division to the Classic Division due to roster compliance issues - that decision is entirely open to the Alumni team.